You don’t need an email list if you want to make money online, but if you want to make CONSISTENT money online, then you definitely need a list of happy subscribers. This post will give some tips and advice on email marketing and what you need to do to be successful in this form of marketing online.
But have you ever wondered what might be keeping people from giving you their email address on your squeeze page? I mean you are giving away something for free, right? Why in the world wouldn’t they simply give you their email address to get their free gift? It’s a no brainer!
Here is why they may not want you to have their email address: They don’t trust you.
Below is a list of reasons people are more hesitant to give you their email, even if the gift you are offering them will change their lives forever:
- They are tired of getting junk mail in their inbox
- They have privacy concerns
- They have no idea why you want their email address
- They are on 10 other email lists and are tired of all the gimmicks
- They don’t know if you will send them 5 emails a day
- They aren’t sure once they are on your list if they can get off of it
- They don’t have email
Ok, I had to throw that last one in there. You never know, there may actually be someone walking on the face of the earth who does not have an email address yet, although it is unlikely=).
So you might think that building an email list is easy. You just set up a squeeze page slap in your Aweber or other autoresponder code and boom — instant money maker! But after 500 views and no sign-ups, it might get a little frustrating.
You see, it’s not just about having an awesome free ebook to give your new subscriber. You need to give them more than that. You need to give them… peace of mind!
After all, even if they agree to give you their email address so they can read this new free report, it doesn’t mean they trust you, respect you, or even like you. They just wanted the free gift and they unsubscribe or click the “spam” button after your first promotional email to them.
So the key really is to put them at ease. Let them know who you are. Let them know you actually want to help them.
And please don’t be one of these internet marketers that just makes up lies to get you to trust them and then pushes some piece of junk product on you. There are enough of them out there, but hopefully the readers of this blog are smarter and more ethical than that, right?
Here are a few tips to help you build your email list of happy subscribers who can’t wait to get the next email from you:
- Explain on your squeeze page that their email will be kept private and you won’t spam them to death (unless you actually are planning on spamming them to death).
- Put your picture on the squeeze page or something to show them who you are with a short greeting and info about you or the author of the free product you are giving away.
- Don’t try to sell something in every email. Use the 1/4 ratio or whatever works best for your list.
- Only promote products you have used and you know work.
- Go out of your way to find articles and videos your list will enjoy.
- Build a relationship with your list by inviting them to respond to your emails.
- Run a poll every now and then. Everyone enjoys a little interaction.
- Share some personal stories, but not too personal. Only stuff that relates to the topic they signed up for.
- Be sure to take people off your list who don’t want to be on there.
- Ask them to invite their friends to join your list.
- Don’t neglect your list.
The last one can be an easy pit to fall into. But if you go a few weeks without any message to your list, they might just forget who you are and why they signed up in the first place. And then it will be a lot harder to make any money off of them and get them to interact with you anymore.
John Chow makes over $40,000 a month from his blog and he says that MOST of his money comes from email marketing. So what does that tell me? You should master building your list.
A guy names Tim Bekker is one of the best at not only building email lists but also teaching people how to do it. He has put together an awesome course called the Autoresponder Code which has been called the #1 email marketing course available online.
Click Here to check out the Autoresponder Code.
(Link opens in new window)
Any other tips on email marketing let me know in the comment section below.